Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Tribute to a Friend


Here is a copy of the memory page I gave to the Turley Family in honor of Celia Turley. Celia passed away within one week of being diagnosed with M3 Leukemia. All efforts to cure this horrific disease was in vain and we lost a sweet lady and friend. She will be remembered by many and we will miss her. She left behind a husband, Darren and five children, Cherise, Cami, Emmett, McKenna and Griffin.

Memories
(Although I am not eloquent on paper, here are just a few thoughts to go onto one sheet of paper to go into a Memory book compiled by Laura and Curtis Chipman)

When I think about Celia the first thing that comes to my mind is a sweet gentle "tall" elect lady, who was very talented, had a wonderful talented family and was just great to be around. She was clearly a special daughter of our Heavenly Father.

It was just a few weeks ago that I helped Celia by writing out a musical arrangement of "Climb Every Mountain" in SAB parts for her family reunion. Little did we know that within a week of this family reunion your family would be climbing the biggest mountain in your lives.

It has been my privilege to have known Celia for these past 8 years. It seems from the start I have felt so comfortable in knowing her and your family and it feels I have known you all forever. I loved having her in the ward choir and knowing that we had a solid, secure alto sound coming from her beautiful voice. She took pride in singing her part perfectly and took her music home to practice and I am grateful that she was so willing share this talent with others.

I also love the fact that she loved music and was willing to have her children develop their talents and learn to play instruments so beautifully. Her support to her children for this endeavor was very evident. It was my privilege to write musical arrangements for her to use, especially the ones used during the many family functions including the duets for Cherise and Cami on the violin and cello, like the one that they played during one of Celia's Relief Society lessons. I want to thank her and I hope she knows this, that I appreciate her confidence in me to be able to arrange music to enhance her special occasions.

I had many conversations with Celia and had some tender moments where we shared deep feelings. The last time Celia helped me was when she knew I was having car problems, After she had picked up music for your last reunion, Celia stopped by Newbern's and asked Bro. Newbern to come over and check out my car. Within 1/2 hour my car was being checked out.

When Celia knew there was a need she didn't waste any time to give her help!

I remember the time I came late to a Relief Society Enrichment Evening and she pulled me into her group to put on a skit. It was fun to be with her and laugh and get down and be silly. Even though some of us felt a bit uncomfortable acting silly on stage it was just so fun to share the laughter and enjoy the sisterhood felt there.

She even helped me the night of the ward adult pinewood derby rally. I had created a gold funcky looking car, and then seeing that I was on my own, she came to me and said, "to win we need to make sure your tires spin smoothly." And then she even made sure the tires were mounted properly. (I'm sure Darren had a bit to do with that too) Well, my car ran so well that I was pretty close to winning thanks to the smooth running tires that she made sure I had. But closer to the end of the rally everyone started cheating or rather stretching the rules with long poles in front or by putting shoes on their cars to increase the weight to make their cars win. These events proved that she cared for others!

I loved the way she gave her Relief Society lessons. She was very confident in the gospel messages she shared, giving everyone that was there an assurance of her strength and her strong and unwavering testimony of the gospel and it was evident that she loved life.

Her children should always call her blessed. I saw in her a gentleness in raising her children. Not that everything was perfect, but the fact that her children saw a great example in Celia and the fact that her children are willing to serve and do things and they can be counted on, is a compliment to her.

I also loved seeing the unity in Celia and Darren's marriage and in raising their family.

Again let me Thank You for letting me prepare the music for Celia's funeral services. While writing out the music many tender heavenly feelings came to me during the process of writing and during rehearsals. I also feel we had angels singing among us as we bade our earth farewell to Celia. And until we meet again at the Savior's feet we have to be grateful we had the privilege of knowing such a special heavenly "Sister" here on our journey upon the earth. Let us all keep the memory of her goodness inside of our hearts forever until we meet again. I know I will .....


Love you all always, a sister in the gospel, Love Eva Hooper

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Sounds perfect!! She was a great lady and I wish I had gotten to know her better, but only a year in the ward, didn't allow me to get to know to many people very well.

Chelley said...

That is a sweet tribute to your friend. I wish I could have heard your music! I am sure it was perfect for the funeral. Your gift touches so many and I am glad you share it so freely!

Love you!