Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Teacher Follies


So at my school we have a very enthusiastic male 2nd grade teacher (Sean) who decided to put on a production with the faculty of our school in conjunction with the Student Council of who he is the sponsor. They wanted to use this event for a fund raiser and charge our school neighborhood families a donation fee for entrance to this production. Well, his personality and enthusiasm is catching and he seemed to get almost all teachers and staff involved in putting on the production of "I Need a Vacation." He didn't realize it was a musical but went forward with it anyway. I told him the only way I would help him is with the sound system, because for many reasons I don't want to go on the stage and act. I am always worried about falling down and breaking something and I sure didn't want to trip on stage by any means. There were 5 groups who practiced their parts as groups on their own time learning the songs and acting and saying the words. This afternoon at 3:30 we got together and rehearsed with the sound system and on stage. We even were treated by the student council with pizza. The program started at 6:30 and all went OK until after one scene, I saw that someone had left a microphone a few feet from me on the floor and it was causing re verb sounds that I couldn't get rid of, so I decided I wanted to turn off the microphone. As I was reaching down it was further away than I thought and as I was reaching forward and sideways to my left, my rolling chair was inconveniently sliding away from under me ... It seemed like I was suspended in time, but there, with all my grace, I WENT DOWN! Embarrassed! You Bet! But I didn't have to think long because Sean appeared from nowhere and was right behind me on the floor whispering to see if I was OK? I, of course


say my standard, "I am OK", but then I added, "Just help me get back up." He wanted to help me get up in the most awkward way but I told him to hang onto the rolling table in front of me so it wouldn't move and I would help pull myself up and he also needed to retreave the excaped chair. And then i asked him to roll it under my behind I'm sure that took place in less than one minute, but at first I thought I would never be able to get up. But we did it. Lucky for me not everyone had a view because between the audience and me was a huge cardboard box painted like a van that held 9 people in one scene.




So you see I don't even have to be on stage to be a Klutz!!!!


Several people came up after the show to see if I was OK..... I said a few Tylenol will do the trick. OK.... I am so sore tonight. I am not too sure everything that will hurt tomorrow, but this too shall pass!




So goes the saga of the teacher follies... now the chorus concert on Thursday, power house on Friday and talent show next Tuesday where I take care of the sound system. BUT ;-/ I will use a regualr student chair with no wheels.




(5 days left to teach and 3 days w/o kids, I'm not really counting?!?!?!?!?)

3 comments:

annelise said...

Jim and the kids were there and had no idea of your fall. they said nothing about it. They loved the play.
take care dear. I do have a ibuprofen 800 mg, and some other good stuff if you need... hahahahha
hugs

Chelley said...

Lady, do you ever fall when you are not at school? I feel so bad for you! I know it must hurt you body as well as your pride. You are a sweetheart and hope you will be fine! Oh yeah, we decided not to move to that house in Queen Creek, so find us a house in your ward!

music lady said...

Just thought I would add this silly note...

Teacher "Fall"eez

I'm ok and it's a few days later