

There is an email list of music teachers that I write to on occation, and usually I am called a lurker, one who just reads teh submissions and hardly ever talks. Well, the subject these past two days was about age and teaching and so many of the teachers are getting a little older so to add to the thread this is what I wrote.
I'm proud... I will be 61 next month, but because of financial factors I have to work for another 5 years to get full benefits, but... I love what I do even if I am working with a bad knee and back and arthritis. I just don't teach dance or play the cup game on the floor like I used to. I've gotten very innovative with how to teach those things. Sometimes it is even better because then the children are the owners of the product or activity, so to speak. (I really like the comments one of you made about conducting with a cane ... I've used mine as a pointer for the charts on the wall, but the long red boomwhacker is much lighter!.)
In my mind I feel like I did in my 30's and 40's but this body says, "Forget it!"
The most fun thing to say to kids now is ... " I have played my violin for 50 years or sometimes I say 1/2 century!" then the smarty ones say, "and how old were you when you started to play." (hehe, mathematicians in the crowd!)
In my mind I feel like I did in my 30's and 40's but this body says, "Forget it!"
The most fun thing to say to kids now is ... " I have played my violin for 50 years or sometimes I say 1/2 century!" then the smarty ones say, "and how old were you when you started to play." (hehe, mathematicians in the crowd!)
(Pictures are from a wedding at one of Rowley cousin's)




No comments:
Post a Comment