Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Talk


Today I talked in church about my favorite subject "Music ... Hymns."
As usual I did not get to give my whole talk, the time was too short by the time I got to speak, my goodness I could do a whole fireside. I will go ahead and publish my talk like the rest of you have over the past few weeks, but I will leave the stories as I wrote them not how I shortened them during my talk. Also I did not show these pictures, that is my blog extra..... Take some time to read, this it will take awhile....
Right before my talk Jennifer Olsen who has a beautiful voice sang a Sally Deford arrangement of "Abide With Me" without the scoops that Sally has with her singers. So here goes the talk ...

Sacrament Meeting Talk October 19, 2008

“Abide with me! Fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens, Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee.
Help of the helpless, oh, Abide with with me.
I need thy presence every passing hour,
What by thy grace can foil the tempter’s power.
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, Abide with me.”

This was one of my Father’s favorite hymns that he would recall the words of and sing quietly during his wretched stay in a prisoner of war camp during WWII where he almost died of starvation and illness.

My dear Brothers and Sisters,
I hope that in the next few minutes I can express in words the things that are deep within my heart.

Two weeks ago as I sat in my home watching General Conference I was reassured by the message of Elder Dallin H. Oaks that I was fulfilling my calling as the music chairman, choir director and music director here in our ward. Since it is my opportunity to choose the music for our Sacrament meetings, I feel that his message was an assurance that our music for our ward’s Sacrament meetings is appropriate and lends itself to help us prepare for the sacredness of the Sacrament and in remembering the atoning sacrifice of our Savior.
“’Tis Sweet to sing of the matchless love
Of Him who left His home above
And Came on earth, oh wondrous plan
To suffer, bleed and die for man” (#174)

“Fill our Hearts with sweet forgiving,
teach us tolerance and love
Let our prayers find access to thee
in thy holy courts above.” (172)

“I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me a sinner he suffered, He bled and died.” (193)

“How infinite that wisdom, the plan of holiness
That made salvation perfect”

“….Then sing Hosannas to His name
Let Heaven and earth His Love proclaim.” (174)

What powerful messages we have in our sacrament hymns. As I contemplate on what hymns to be chosen for our Sacrament meetings, I know of the theme that the speakers are assigned and try to match the hymns that carry the same message. Our hope is that the hymns will help us prepare our minds to be open to the messages that are given. We need to prepare ourselves to be spiritually uplifted and that our testimonies can grow. Our Meeting house in Wilhelmshaven ... listening to a talk

Mom and me on left 3 rows back.

1. Germany
As a young girl in my home land of Germany I remember either walking or riding on the back of my Mother’s bicycle in a child seat on Sundays going to our church meetings. Our branch met in a rented rather run down, war torn building that the members of our branch fixed up. It was clean inside and big enough to seat all that came. I remember singing, I remember partaking of the sacrament and people giving talks. Everyone sang. I remember my Father telling me how during WWII that the dictator would not allow the LDS Saints to sing songs about Zion and had the SS made them put red Xs on the pages not to be sung. So the Saints sang everything else.
I remember especially my sweet mother singing, she had the most beautiful alto voice and it was glorious to listen. One particular Hymn I remember most was…. “Gott sie mit uns bis aufwiedesehen”…. “God be with you ‘til we meet again. ‘til we meet at Jesus feet.”
This was the farewell hymn they sang as our family undertook the great journey of immigrating to America. I was only 6 at that time and was already very sensitive to the messages of our sweet hymns.

Farewell to our families at last Sacrament meeting

2. America
When we came to America I remember coming to the big white chapel in down town Mesa. The first Sunday in November that we attended church we sang, “Come, Ye Thankful People Come” in Sunday School and again in our Sacrament meeting. Yes, we were thankful to be in America to worship and sing.

* In that same chapel I remember as we were introduced to singing, “I Am A Child of God.” I also remember singing solo on the second verse of "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" as a teenager with our ward choir

* I started to play my violin at age 10 and that has brought me many years of joy and service in sharing my musical talent with others to bring us closer to the spirit and Love of our Heavenly Father and our Lord. Of course my playing the violin is another whole story that I shall leave for another time.

* As a teenager I led the music in our ward Sunday School. Every month part of my assignment in the calling was to teach a new hymn. My favorite hymn to teach was “The Iron Rod” …. I love this message because it is a hymn based on Book of Mormon scriptures and it has a powerful message of staying true to what we are taught just like Nephi of old.

“Hold to the Rod the Iron
Tis strong and bright and true
The Iron Rod is the word of God
‘Twill safely guide us through”

* In the years since I have been under the tutelage of many of the great church music leaders and worked with fine musicians and conductors both LDS and non LDS. I have also been in partnership with our church leaders our Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies to bring the uplifting spirit of Lord into our church meetings in utilizing the Hymns to bring us together in harmony with our Eternal Father and his son and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Music is part of our lives…... You realize of course we all sang in heaven. When it was announced that we were to come to this earth, we sang and shouted for joy.

*Melodies and rhythms were sung and played since early biblical times to express joy, praise, and worship
*It can be a form of prayer. The psalms were probably sung to simple melodies and accompanied by instruments.

Let me just read a few quotes from the scriptures

*Miriam, who was the sister of Aaron and Moses, took a timbrel and she and the women danced, Ex. 15: 20. (tambourine)
*The Levites who were the singers had cymbals and harps and one hundred twenty priests blew their trumpets, 2 Chr. 5: 12.

*Jesus and the Twelve sang a hymn after the Last Supper, And “When they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives,” Matt. 26: 30.
* Joseph Smith on the day of his martyrdom asked for a hymn to be sung.
*Teach and admonish one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, Col. 3: 16.
*Have you felt to sing the song of redeeming love? Alma 5: 26.
*Praise the Lord with singing, with music, and with dancing, D&C 136: 28. (taken from LDS.org about Music)
*To worship and praise God in song and musical verse.
*Sing unto the Lord, 1 Chr. 16: 23-36 (Ps. 96).
*Sing unto the Lord, and give thanks, Ps. 30: 4.
*Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, Ps. 100: 1 It never says anywhere we have to sing perfectly
*The Holy Ghost led them to sing, Moro. 6: 9.


There is so much GOOD music in our world, don’t waste your time on music that has the influence to alter your lives from staying in tune with our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ.

I teach music in school to approximately 900 children every year. My philosophy is to develop a love of good music in these young folks music that is uplifting and develops good character. So many times I wish I could just use a Hymn or Primary Song to teach a point. But I cannot do so, but I have chosen good music that brings goodness into the lives of these young people.

Let me just tell you of a few incidences where Hymns and on occasion a Primary Song touched my life.

GIRLS CAMP
Many year ago at girls camp we were enacting the Pioneer trek. We started this trek high up the mountain side in West Camp and were pushing and pulling replicas of the handcarts our pioneer used to cross the plains. We had loaded a few supplies not anything like what the pioneers may have had. But as we pushed and pulled our handcart it became apparent that it was a harder task than we had ever imagined. Before long we started to sing, “For some must push and some must pull
as we go marching up the hill.
So merrily on the way we go
until we reach the valley O”
“Put your shoulder to the wheel push along
Do your duty with a heart full of song
We All have work, Let no one shirk,
Put your shoulder to the wheel.”

When someone started to grumble, one of the girls started to sing,

“Let us oft speak kind words to each other,
At home or where’er we may be.”
As we sang our hearts were lightened and friendships were renewed and we worked together in harmony.

Driving Home From ASU one rainy cloudy day and having feelings just as cloudy and dark in my heart, I was looking at the dark grey ominous clouds when all of a sudden amongst the stormy clouds just a small little ray of sunshine brightened right before my car’s path. The words came to my mind,


“When dark clouds of trouble hang o’er us
And threaten our peace to destroy
There is hope smiling brightly before us
And we know that deliverance is nigh
We doubt not the Lord nor his goodness
We’ve proved him in days that are past”

I had to pull onto a side street to collect my feelings .
Once again the Lord was giving me answers of peace.
Trust in the Savior, in the gospel and in Heavenly Father.

Driving To School at Sunrise
One time I was driving in the early morning dawn and watched the most glorious sunrise. My heart started to sing…
“There is sunshine in my souls today,
More glorious and bright’
Than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my light.
Oh there’s sunshine, blessed sunshine
When the peaceful happy moments roll
When Jesus shows his smiling face,
There is sunshine in my soul.”

Needless to say the whole day was filled with happiness and joy. Teaching was fun and on returning home after work the day continued with the happy feeling of joy

60th Ward Conference “Our Savior’s Love”
This was taken from my journal in 1994 during another very trying time in my personal life trying to find a full time job and struggles with some members of my family and negative comments from outsiders about being a single mom and not being complete.
“With heavy heart I went to church not wanting to even be there let alone lead the music in front of the whole ward and stake presidency. After the opening hymn and sacrament hymn and the sacrament and after two dear members of the stake presidency (Blackhurst and Soelberg) spoke, I knew I needed to change my negative attitude.
It was time for the choir to sing and as the “huge” choir stood and the strings were ready to play, I took a deep breath and paused for a moment. I finally motioned for Debbie (our accompanist) to play the introduction to our Special Number, “Our Savior’s Love.”
My heart melted right then and there and when the women came in on the first line it was as if the angels of heaven were singing along,

“Our Savior’s love shines like the sun with perfect light.
As from above it breaks through clouds of strife.
Lighting our way It leads us back into his sight,
Where we may stay to share eternal life.”


It was the prettiest we have ever sung and my heart was rejoicing inside. President Johnson our stake president spoke and recalled how my family and members of our ward were privileged to perform for a “prophet” President Hinckley last month. (This was one year before he became the actual President of the Church) Again I realized that Satan was working over time to get me to pull away from the truths that I know. To discourage me into thinking negative thoughts and thinking what is the use to go on.

The closing hymn was sung by the choir “How Firm a Foundation”. Again it was as if angels were in our midst singing along to the powerful message and when the Congregation joined the choir on the last verse the spirit was so strong among the people. “The Soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose, I will not, I cannot desert to his foes That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I’ll never, no never, I’ll never no never, I’ll never no never ….. NO never forsake.”

My dear Brother and Sister……..
Now this is my opportunity to say this in front of all you and in echoing the admonishment of our church leaders…
Sing the songs of Zion, Sing the Hymns, Sing the Primary Songs learn and study the words so they may uplift you and your loved ones. Let these Hymns be a guide, a spiritual guide to uplift you, give you courage and strength, give you peace and happiness and joy and give you a reminder that when you need it the most … you will feel of the Love from above.
SING here at church, SING in Primary, SING in Mutual, Sing in your Relief Society and Priesthood Meetings, Sing in Choir, Sing in your cars, Sing when you work, Sing at with your family and at home evening. Fill your homes with hymns and righteous music to always ward off the bad influence of music that is so inappropriate to reside in our lives and our homes. And when that blessed day will come, may we as saints of Zion sing a new Song at the 2nd coming of our Lord and Savior when he will reign here upon the earth.
I bear my testimony to you that the “Song of the Righteous is a Prayer unto God.” In the Name of our beloved Jesus Christ…

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing your talk, I wish I could have gotten my lazy but in gear to make it and actually hear you give it.

I really do admire your love and knowledge of Music. I wish I had more of a talent with music but even with out I still have a great love and appreciation for it. You have taught me well and many others.

I know in the 60th ward, many of the children wanted to play strings instruments just so they could play in sacrament meetings with you!! You had so many followers in that ward that did look up to you...and I am sure in your new ward too.

Sarah said...

I was trying so hard to get my family to church on time the Sunday that you gave this, if for no other reason than to hear your talk. (I actually try every week, we just usually fail.) Anyway, per usual, we were late. I was afraid I had missed it. I was very happy to find that I hadn't. I very much enjoyed listening to you give this. I even had to dry my eyes a couple times. I definitely felt the spirit. Thank you for sharing your love and testimony of music.