Sunday, October 5, 2008

seven things to share

Leslie Tagged me.... gee this feels like grade school. Oh well, I teach grade school! Thanks Leslie!
So here goes 7 things have fun...
1. I was leading music in our Ward Sunday School at church when I was in high school. Each month I had to teach or review a hymn. My favorite one was “The Iron Rod”.

2. When I was 18 years old I went to Midwestern Music and Arts Camp at KU, the University of Kansas in Lawrence Kansas. The Camp lasted 6 weeks and I was part of the Senior High School Music Division. Besides music at the camp, there was art, science, ballet, journalism, drama and a few other artsy things which I cannot remember at this moment. My roommate “Kay” was from Indiana. I learned to catch fireflies for one of her projects and she went with me to Kansas City to watch “The Music Man” with Burt Parks as one of my Music outings. Kay and I had a lot of fun in the evening unwinding from the daily strenuous studies and practicing we did all day. I was part of the Symphony Orchestra, The Ballet Pit Orchestra, for two weeks I was in the Concert Chorus, I was in the top String Quartet with members from the states of Washington and Colorado. I had private lessons and I basically grew in my violin playing triple fold that summer.

Here are some newspaper articles before and after camp.
3. I had several other newspaper articles written about me in the Mesa Tribune newspaper. Other articles were about my many scholarships and awards that I earned or making all-state orchestra in High school. Later on one article was about an East Mesa Stake Relief Society Orchestra I was leading. Another article was about me writing music with local LDS musicians.

4. One more newspaper article was about me being the coach for a church YW volleyball team that won a tournament. That was when I was in the South Stake and the 29th ward. I think that is Kimball stake now. Mesa was a small town once upon a time.

5. During some of my life time, I was a Beehive, Mia Maid and Laurel Advisor and I was Young Women’s President twice in my life. In St. Louis for 18 months and in the 60th ward for 6 years. We had some of the best leadership meetings and New Beginnings and other programs that included lots of beautiful music. (of course)
Cabin 9 Camp LoMiaMy leaders and friends being lazy at Pine Creek in Camp Lomia Boundaries

6. I went to Camp LoMia in Pine Arizona as a mutual girl for 6 years. As a leader as a Young Women’s President, MiaMaid and Lauel Advisor, countless times as a cabin mom, music director, and many times as ward camp director and a lot of the time I was also doing the music callings at the same time in the ward. One really fun time was when I was the music/program director for the whole camp. "It's A Jungle Out There." I have seen Camp LoMia grow from a small lodge with 9 cabins and a runny creek to basically 3 camp areas. The one around the enlarged lodge with more cabin and cabins and addies across the creek. A south Camp or lower camp and one up the mountain side to the west just as you enter into the camp property. The city of Pine stopped the water from flowing through camp and made an underground pipe bypass. But I know where the creek still flows outside the camp and took many girls there who had to take the "Nature Hike" to see and hear the creek. We would sit there for a couple of hours enjoying the scenery and talking and playing fun nature trivia or word games sitting on the huge flat topped boulder in the middle of the creek. I can still hear and see the running crystal clear water in my mind and the fun talks with many of the girls and leaders that were shared at the best camp ever. There are hundreds of stories I could tell, literally! Maybe I should write a book….
Leslie's transportion one year at camp LoMia,
she actually came down the hill on crutches.
We sang the song "For some must push and some must pull as we go marching round the camp." Notice the two poles we used to pull in front of the wheel chair. A few years later they did make ramps everywhere for wheel chairs. Electric would be so nice up there!Carefully getting to our favorite spot by the creek.Leslie & Jennifer living the hammock lifeTime for skitsJesters at Camp (JC's)What a fun skit.. we gave them a "light show"
but doesn't look like much in this pictureLeslie, Shanna and Jennifer (JC's)We were wearing our shirts every day so they needed to be washed or go stinky! "CABIN MOM" Eva
7. Our Mesa East State Hosted a Regional Conference years ago with at that time the apostle Gordon B Hinckley. He became the prophet soon thereafter. The highlight was the chance to play in a small string ensemble for the evening dinner. And for the entertainment we also had a small women’s ensemble sing. We all got to shake his hand. Kirk and Bryan were there as well as Leslie who came to turn pages for the piano player. What a spiritual experience it was.

...Now those are a few random things… I have many more things I could share but who really wants to know??!!! No one ever reads my blog except Leslie and sometimes Jon. Well… maybe more people read, because I can see on the "meter thing-a-magig" that many people read, but not very many people seem to be brave enough to say something or write a comment!!!!! Oh by the way I don't know how to leave a link for those being tagged.

I NEVER PLAYED TAG IN SCHOOL! I HATED IT AND I STILL HATE PLAYING TAG! but I would like to hear a few things from my grandkids, Jon, and Kaitlyn, Connor, Layna, Landon and my son Eric whose bogs are all private. and when Carmen gets settled I'd like to hear seven things that are exciting about Texas................. so much for playing tag.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

See, I told you that you had lots of amazing stuff to share!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for taging me i did it.