Friday, April 4, 2008

One down three to go

Well, last night, April 3rd, I led about 150 Kindergarten kids in their performance of "Gettin' Down with Mama Goose". The kids were so cute. Most of them had on their SSE red T-shirts and the rest of the kids wore regular red t-shirts except for a few. So here they are on the stage and on one riser just off each side of the stage and I am leading them in the cutest Nursery Rhyme songs complete with actions and movement that I choreographed. Most of the movement has to be in one spot, so there is a lot of movement with hands that go along with the words of the songs. I did have them bounce with their knees, not jump and march and even had the boys and girls alternate taking turns bending forward grabbing their knees while the other song their parts to a couple of songs. The kids this age are so cooperative and sweet and soooo cute. Just imagine 150 kids doing the same actions, rockin' to a rock and roll beat, doing the "Rocky" stomp, stomp, clap thing, making fan hands, mitten hands, hands high above the head, bouncing to the beat and not jumping, singing with their best loud voices, smiling from ear to ear and having a blast knowing they are on stage like the big kids.

Can you just hear their parents cheering as if there little sweethearts were on American Idol? Well, I felt that way. (Some of the parents though were a little too noisy talking while the kids were singing. They weren't saying anything bad, they were actually talking about.... "that kid" and "look at him," and "isn't that a cute little girl on the front row with the hip action just adorable".... but it was distracting to me and possibly others. You should have seen the picture taking experience though. We told the parents after their last number they could come up and take pictures as they kids stood on the risers for them. Even the principal couldn't stop talking about how many parents came to the front like a paparazzi crowd of photographers. She also couldn't believe the crowd that came and the K teachers said they never had that big of a crowd before... Well this was the First Night concert! They always had the concerts in the day when many people could not get off work and they were there last night and they all wanted to take those precious pictures.

The week after Spring break the K teachers were so doubtful that I could put on this show because I had been gone so long and they felt the kids didn't know the songs. I told them to trust me, because I knew the kids could do it and sure enough they did! I feel I surprised many people with what kindergartners can do. They are just small little people and they can about do anything. Had we had a few more days we would ave done all the songs with just the accompaniment tracks. We used 2 out of 12 songs with the words. It was actually better for me to have these two songs with words because I have a case of laryngitis and a very froggy voice.

I made a cute program and had their names on the back, unfortunately I got the names off of the school snapgrade sight and their was one child whose father asked if his son was not supposed to sing because his name was not on the program. I said of course we want him to sing that is was just a computer error (NOT MINE) and I'd love to make him his own program with his name. It was kind of ironic that his name is not on snap grades and that his own teacher didn't know he was not on the list. I guess K teachers don't use snapgrades like the rest of us have to.

Oh well, in three weeks April 24th, will be the First Grade Musical all about going to school and doing Music and learning. One week later the Second Grade Musical, Oriental Express with songs from China, Japan and Korea. This Musical will have lots of instruments and actions on stage. Then two weeks later will be the Chorus Concert all about Earth Day, taking care of our earth and being helpful and conscientious about our environment. Four programs within 6 weeks is insane but it will be done........ and I am making these programs a lot of fun for the kids.

I just come home every night from school ready to go to bed, but I can't, I have to plan stuff and work out details and still live a life with my family. I even want to try to go to their ball games but so far I have only gone to one.

This weekend is General Conference, where I can stay home and not have to dress up for church. I am looking forward to a spiritual lift and maybe in between sessions I can get a lot accomplished in my home and family and for school.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I never look at the snap grades...But I am glad you are back at school doing your thing...I am sure EVERYONE is glad you are back...

And thanks for helping me make Sour Clopse...it was yummy!!

We will have to make some jam this week!!

Chelley said...

I have no idea what snap grades are!! Oh well. I enjoy reading your blog, you have a fun and entertaining writing style. I can see where leslie get is from! I am still working on letting loose, I am such a goober!! Anyway, keep writing, we like it!